BRVBB Donation Site
Blue Ridge Veterinary Blood Bank
Your dog could save a life!
Healthy donors are needed to give blood for the many dogs who need it. A single donation can be used to save up to 4 lives, because the blood can be separated into two components, red blood cells and plasma. The components are given to patients suffering from anemia, injury or disease.
|A special thanks to our BRVBB team: Valerie Latchford, DVM and veterinary technician Chris Oldt. Thank you for all that you do!|
How long will it take?
The blood collection process, an almost completely painless procedure, will take about 10-20 minutes. Your pet will not be sedated and only a small percentage of his or her blood will be donated.
How often can my pet donate?
Animals could donate blood without any problems as often as every 3 weeks. You will only be asked to come in every 2 months. Immediately after donations, the body starts to replace the blood that was given.
How will this benefit my pet?
- Every pet is given a physical examination before each donation
- Each pet's blood type is determined
- A free Blood Chemistry Profile, Complete Blood Count (CBC) and a Heartworm test is performed prior to any donations
- Each pet is tested for Ehrlichia, Hemobartonella, and Babesia (diseases spread by ticks)
- Brucella testing (once for neutered dogs and yearly testing for intact dogs)
- For each unit of blood donated, a donor is eligible to receive one unit of blood or plasma should illness or injury ever warrant its use.
- Each pet receives an BRVBB identification tag which identifies the dog as a blood donor, and can be traced through the BRVBB if the owner cannot otherwise be located
- Each pet receives an BRVBB bandanna identifying the donor as a life saver
- Various free pet health and nutrition giveaways
- And plenty of dog treats before and after each donation
How can my dog become a blood donor?
Contact the Blue Ridge Veterinary Blood Bank at 1-800-949-EVBB or 540-338-7387
or visit their website:
(Previously known as the Eastern Veterinary Blood Bank)