Theobromine and caffeine are the toxic compounds in chocolate. Even though they
are relatively harmless to humans they are toxic to our pets. Different types
of chocolate have different levels of Theobromine and caffeine. Milk chocolate
has the least amount of these compounds, followed by dark chocolate, baking
chocolate, and surprisingly cocoa powder has the highest levels at over
700mg/oz. The cocoa bean itself is high in theobromine, and coffee beans and
grounds are high in caffeine.
It does not take much to reach toxic levels and signs can start with vomiting,
diarrhea, bloating, or restlessness, and quickly progress to hyperactivity,
tremors, seizures, pancreatitis, cardiac arrhythmia or respiratory failure
leading to death. Early detection and intervention can save your pet's life.
Caution: even cocoa mulch used in flowerbeds can contain toxic levels of
theobromine and caffeine.
Xylitol is a sugar substitute used in a wide variety of sugar free
products. It can be found in anything from Chewing gum and candy, to jams or jellies, dental care products, and even all
natural bath scrubs and shampoos. Xylitol is safe for humans,
but can cause severe even fatal symptoms if ingested by dogs. Absorption of
Xylitol is fast. Sypmtoms can occur within 30 minutes after ingestion and it
doesn't take much to cause fatal results. Xylitol can cause Hyperglycemia
(dangerously low blood sugar), acute liver damage and death.
Important: If you suspect your pet has ingested even a small amount of
Xylitol it is important to get your pet to your veterinarian IMMEDIATELY!
garlic, chives etc.
Any plant from the Allum
onions, garlic, scallions, etc.)
can be toxic. It
doesn’t matter if they are raw, cooked, or dehydrated. The toxic element
called allyl propyl disulfide damages red blood cells. Signs include
vomiting, diarrhea, an unwillingness to eat, hemolytic anemia (a breakdown of
red blood cells), weakness, and elevated heart rate and respiratory rate.
They are toxic to both cats
and dogs. However, cats and certain breeds of dogs like Akitas and Shiba Inus,
for example, are more susceptible.
cause of the toxicity in dogs is unknown. However, the clinical signs are
weakness (especially in the rear legs), depression, vomiting, and tremors.
Signs can be seen within 12 hours of ingestion, and a pet is in double
trouble if the macadamia is coated with chocolate. They are considered one
of milder toxins, however, and death has yet to be reported as a side
Little is truly
known about this toxicity. No one knows how it works or even how much it
takes. What we do know is that the type of grape does not seen to be a
factor. Toxicity has been seen in dogs that ate as much as 2 pounds of grapes
and as little as one single serving box of raisins. Dogs that ingested grapes
or raisins can start vomiting within a few hours of digestion. Many times
partially digested grapes or raisins can be seen in the vomit of feces. Other
signs are an unwillingness to eat, diarrhea, lethargy and abdominal pain.
Signs can last for weeks and have been known to lead to kidney failure and
Dough and Alcohol
yeast metabolizes the sugars in dough, the dough rises and alcohol is
produced. When a pets has eaten raw yeast dough the warm moist area of the
stomach provided the yeast the perfect environment to grow. The alcohol
produced is them absorbed and can be toxic.
especially cats, are often attracted to mixed drinks that contain milk, cream
or ice cream as well. Signs such as drunkenness, disorientation and vomiting,
and in extreme cases, coma, seizures or even death from alcohol intoxication
might occur. Signs can occur within 25 minutes of ingestion.
intentionally give your pet any kind of alcohol. If accidental ingestions
does occur DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING.